Friday, July 18, 2008

Cups going Zoom-Zoom

As much as I love my Mazda for its zippy-ness, almost perfect driving position position, fantastic steering feel, practicality, and decent gas mileage, there are some design flaws that drive me nuts. Here's one of them:

Shallow Cup Holders*

"What's wrong with them?" you ask. Well, they're perfectly fine when the car isn't moving or if your cup is empty, but when you turn, it does this:


Before the turn

While turning**

You can guess what happens next. Yes, the cups go flyyyyyying. This is especially bad with bottles of water because the diameter of the bottle is much smaller than the cup holders. This can be especially bad if it falls towards the driver side and get under the pedals, like this the episode of The Simpsons when Milhouse and Bart roll fruits down the bus, and the grapefruit gets stuck under the brake pedal, causing a massive accident.

I don't know why Mazda didn't just make deeper cup holders. I might do a DIY mod someday.


*No, it's not my purse. It's owned by the girl I was carpooling with this morning.
**I did not take this picture while driving. It was a simulation of the real thing.


1 comment: